Helotes Felony Charges Lawyer

Felony: Criminal Law

Felonies are defined as crimes which can be punished over a year in the Texas Department of Corrections. A conviction for a felony can prohibit you from owning a firearm the rest of your life and from voting. Additionally, a conviction for a felony can make applications for jobs or apartments exceedingly difficult. As the stakes of a felony conviction are so high it is imperative to have aggressive and competent representation if you find yourself charged with one.

“This lawyer cared about the details of my case and cared about me. He did not want me to be charged with a Felony. I have another chance to do well because I had good Representation.”

- D.X.

Felonies Frequently Asked Questions

What’s the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor?
The length of punishment is the difference. A felony is punish by more than a year. A misdemeanor is less. The collateral consequences are significantly different as well. A felony conviction can take away your right to vote, own a firearm, and can affect you getting a job. Misdemeanors can have rough consequences as well, but less than felonies.
What is an indictment? Does it matter?
The ‘indictment’ in a felony case is the formal process by which a charge is brought against you. The DA has to present the case to a ‘grand jury’ and request a ‘true bill.’ This is not an adversarial process. The DA presents whatever they want to request the true bill. The process of the indictment has significant consequences regarding timelines for the case, but the act itself is a borderline formality.
How long do felonies take to get resolved?
If you’re in a position where you can’t take a plea bargain, then the felony can take years. It’s up to your defense attorney to push the trial if you want it faster. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don’t, a lot of that decision making is trial strategy.
Can I change my bond conditions while I’m waiting for my felony to be resolved?
Maybe. You need to file a ‘Motion to Modify Bond Conditions’ and request the change to your bond conditions from the court. You will likely be required to confer with the prosecutor and see if they agree. If they don’t, then you need to convince the judge.

Schedule a

Schedule Today